Re: Devotee v. initiate.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:53:19 +0100

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 08:44:17PM +0100, Jane Williams wrote:
> I'd hesitate to call them "just" initiates when
> you look at the ability numbers next to their affinities. That -5
> becomes almost irrelevant in the face of multiple masteries.

Indeed, that's IMO a large part of the problem (or, perception of a problem). If the distinction is largely meaningless, or is as Ash argues, already skewed rather to being an initiate, what's the motivation for wasting ink and paper on describing and distinguishing the status of devotee? If initiate were the initiatory (as it were) status presumptive, things could have been written a lot more clearly with that in mind, rather than having endemic nuisance -5's, meaning that one is rarely rolling against the number actually on one's sheet...