RE: Initiates using feats.

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:57:09 +0100

> > (sigh) why do people have this thing about
> misquoting/misinterpreting
> > me? Where did I say OWN cult's feats? We're talking about
> the feats of
> > OTHER subcults, remember? Which you CAN, specifically, learn
> > stand-alone. At 13.
>
> I dunno, Jane, obviously a really widespread and deep-seated
> grudge, fetish, or something?

Must be. Life is out to get me (and my computer).

> You've lost me entirely, then. How does this 'clear up your
> problem' (quoting Ash, lest I appear errant, whom you were
> quoting in the
> original) about the discrepancy _between those two cases_,
> which is what we were specifically talking about. (Remember?)

Because he points out (as I understood it, anyway), that the apparently insignificant expenditure of one HP (or one word/phrase in the 100) is not that trivial to the character.

Also that the one-feat gain is narrow, whereas the affinity is broad. Affiniites can be (and are) applied to a wide range of situations - a feat learnt by rote can be used to one specific situation only. So, having the (alien) feat at a skill level a point higher than general feats improvised with greater understanding is perhaps not surprising.

I'm still trying to sort out why you can't learn your "own" feats standalone, but I think it's to do with that "learn by rote" idea. Vinga says "oi! You do that *properly*, or not at all! Mess about with other people's stuff at a trivial level if you must, but *my* feats you understand or leave alone."