Re: Devotee v. initiate.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:49:09 +0100

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:34:26PM -0400, Light Castle wrote:
> I don't really know how to handle the idea you can buy stand-alone
> feats from other cults but not one you are initiated to. I like Jane's
> logic on this, but it still seems odd. I'm tempted to let people buy
> stand-alone feats from their own cult, but with the limitation of it
> starting at 13 and not increasing with the affinity, even if that goes
> against the rules.

I think that if you allow this, that's what the rules would imply. Or the most natural way to extrapolate them to this case, at least. This seems slightly messy to me in that if someone is raising both a feat 'from' an affinity, and the whole affinity, it's pretty unclear how to handle it if for example they later become a devotee. OTOH, maybe it makes sense to 'strongly incentivise' them to be raising only one or the other, to avoid just such an issue.

> But what about learning a new feat in the same affinity from some
> other cult? In other words, could an Initiate of Issaries learn a feat
> from the Trade affinity of Etyries and just subsume it into his Trade
> affinity?

I'm inclined to see that, at least to a first approximation, that's a function of how they're worshipped. If it's a matter of, at my local Issaries holy place we worship in _this_ manner, and gain _these_ feats, and I also go to the Lunar Provincial temple, and separately sacrifice to Eytries, then it sounds a lot like a stand-alone feat. If on the other hand, your tribe has a statue to Etyries right there in the temple, and your rites incorporate her in the regular cycle of worship, then it's probably in effect part of your local "Issaries sub-cult keyword", in some shape or form. (In the 'most applicable affinity', as you say.)