re: City gods

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:40:45 -0400

flynnkd2 (sorry, no other name in the post):

> Pavis is referenced ina few places as simply a City God, and his
> powers are oftened said to be limited to the area of his city - Pavis
> and the Big Rubble. I have seen other references to extending this to
> anywhere within sight of a shrine of Pavis.

Those references do seem to go back before the general description of 'City Gods' in Goids of Glorantha, but I've always thought they were overly limiting.

Pavis is not just an embodiment of the spirit of his city. He's a Hero who became a God, and many of his deeds before apotheosis occurred outside the city. So it seems to me that his followers should be able to take at least some of his power outside the city.

There are natural limitations on doing this. Pavis followers will only rarely have any reason to go beyond the city while fulfilling their cult time commitments, and they won't find any centres of Pavis worship elsewhere.

IMG Pavis followers have penalties to their abilities while outside the city but there are ritual means by which they can reduce these, especially if they're doing things which fit in with Pavis's own actions.

Andrew