Re: Praxian magic

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:08:31 +0200

James Turner 00-05-24 18.22

>All HW theist initiates have access to reusable magic.

I guess you could call it that. But initiates (a majority of any fighting force) have to improvise all their feats. The average Orlanthi warrior has an effective target number of 12 or so. He's lucky if he can do a Swordhelp to boost his combat ability by one or two points.

>All HW nomad braves have a handful of one use fetishes (no wonder the
>Praxian invaders keep kicking nomad butt).

The average Praxian warrior probably has a spirit fetish that can give him a whole bunch of AP. Much more effective than the Orlanthi. Sure, it's only good for one fight, but so what? The nomads can hit and run, coming back when they're charged up again.

So far (I've only had the game for a week), it seems to me as if magic is a lot more low-key in HW than it ever was in RQ. The _amount_ of magic going around has increased, but the average _power_ of it has decreased. I don't think any wars will be won based on one magic system being 'better' than another...

"Kid Rock Starves To Death
 Mp3 Piracy Blamed"
 (The Onion, 17 may 2000)