Re: re: City gods

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:00:41 -0700

A couple of possibilities, off the top of my head...

I wonder whether some of the "devotee of Pavis" skill might, just possibly, be a generic "devotee of a City God" skill? That is, the cultist knows the way to interact with *a city god*, full-stop. He knows how they think and what they like. Perhaps he can function as, say, "devotee of Sartar" with a hefty improvisational penalty, because one city god is a lot like another.

In fact, the two gods might well allow/encourage this. There might be some kind of city-god "reciprocity". That is, say Joe Pavisite is visiting another city. That city's god is going to say, "Now, what do I think of Joe? I think he's a good guy, because he shows the proper devotion to *his city*. I would like *my* citizens to honor me the way Joe honors Pavis. Joe is traveling from his city for legitimate reasons. I will therefore show my favor to Joe by accepting him in my services as an associated worshiper, and granting him some magic while he's here." With a big penalty, sure, but still something. (Provided, of course, that relations between the two cities are not that bad, and the cults don't have a natural antipathy.)

That would be a defense for the old RQ-rule that "most city gods are associated cults". Of course, it has limits. "Devotee of Glamour" is not going to help you much in Boldhome.