Re: Re: City gods

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:22:23 +0100

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:27:52 -0000, flynnkd2 wrote:

>Thats are rather cold blooded approach. The player liked the idea of
>Pavis and wanted to play it. Having now invested a lot of time in the
>character, and his group wanting to move to Sartar he now gets
>discarded?

>Or is divine power really a force from within, and surely a devotee of
>a god can go anywhere and manifest the powers he knows exist. A true
>devotee has no doubt and would believe they could wander off the end
>of the world and still be with their god.

Ummm, no.

A true devotee has committed his soul to the service of his god. A devotee of Pavis cannot spend his 60% of time in the service of Pavis while wandering about Dragon Pass having adventures. A devotee of Barntar cannot become a Wolf Pirate and still spend 60% of his time ploughing.

If the game is changing so that the character can't maintain his ritual devotions then perhaps the character needs to be retired, or changed so he still does fit. There's a fair bit in Thunder Rebels about how people change their devotions within the Storm Tribe. I don't immediately know how this happens within non-Orlanthi cultures such as Pavis, but perhaps the Pavis Devotee needs to be called by an associated god such as Issaries to switch devotion?