Re: AP pool ?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:39:02 -0700

> >So you're asking "Can I use the Augmentation table and act as a
"fetish" -
> >adding both a (single round) skill bonus *and* a number of AP equal to
the
> >augmentation? (I'm asking this because I had to read through the
paragraph
> >a couple times to make sure I got it).
>
> I hadn't considered that this duplicates the actions of a fetish, but I
> guess it does. From that viewpoint, I agree with your snipped paragraph
> that this is inappropriate for a nonmagical ability. However, I have
> another viewpoint:
>
> Any bonuses to the ability used initially in an extended contest affect
> both the target number and the starting APs. I am suggesting and querying
> about a late arrival to the contest jumping in an modifying the target
> number and AP of the original extended contest participant.

By the rules, you could only modify one or the other. I'm suggesting that a magical effect might allow you to do both (but that it be limited to one round of Bonus - the AP would stay until the end of the contest).

> Since you have likened this to the effect of a fetish, I am guessing that
> the answer is "no" for a nonmagical ability.

Correct. In my opinion.

> Another question prompted by your reply: You note that a fetish adds a
> "(single round) skill bonus" above. Is this stated in the rules? Does this
> mean that a use of a Hates Darkness +2 fetish, for instance, only affects
> single round of a contest? I have been using fetish effects that last for
> an entire contest, extended or otherwise.

No, no, the "one round" limitation was just for the postulated magical effect. Fetishes normally last for the length of the contest.

RR