Re: City gods

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:51:40 +0200 (CEST)

Peter Metcalfe
>> If he wants to help Heortlings everywhere then Pavis is not the >> cult for him.

Absolutely true. Pavisites are not Heortlings (any more, and in many cases have never been). You can be an initiate of Pavis and something else, indeed this is encouraged by the cult's marriages, but you are supposed to be working for the city.

"flynnkd2"

> Thats are rather cold blooded approach. The player liked the idea of
> Pavis and wanted to play it. Having now invested a lot of time in the
> character, and his group wanting to move to Sartar he now gets
> discarded?

Not quite. Pavis does have a number of associates which can be added to the Pavis initiation, from Orlanth via Issaries to Seven Mothers. Even Sartar might be eligible (as soon as he can be contacted), as a means of repaying the debt of re-vitalizing the city.

> It is ONLY a game, I thought the idea was to have fun. I can easily
> just ignore the information I have and let my players do anything, but
> what I was looking for was suggestions on how this might be explained.

If this was my game, I'd have the local associate cults offer a Pavis affinity, use the "shared subcults" rule and have a mostly useless affinity.

Mostly useless, because there are lots of places in Dragon Pass and Dagori Inkarth where Pavis has been active, and where some of his magic might work.

> After all Pavis/City Gods wouldnt be the only time this sort of
> restrictive behaviour might apply. What do Lunar cultists do when they
> first move into a new area? What if a lunar went to another continent,
> would they carry their powers still... I would imagine most Lunar
> followers would think so. But is the Red Moon a full world wide god
> yet? I assume she is still contesting her position with the gods who
> currently share it with her, like the various forms of Orlanth.

She is visible from everywhere, so yes, that's world wide. In Pamaltela the Yranian Leapers might be encountered...

> And when an orlanthi moves to the southern continent, do they keep
> their magic? Is the game so rigid that you can only exist within your
> own homeland?

If you want to remain a functional initiate, yes - missing out on Xmas, Thanksgiving and Easter means you're severely lapsing, my friend.

That's for your cult in the society. The downside of taking a mainstream cult, really. Your tie to the wyter weakens, and thereby your magic channeled through that. Community support for accessing magic suddenly is off, and that W3 barrier gets insurmountable.

> Or is divine power really a force from within, and surely a devotee of
> a god can go anywhere and manifest the powers he knows exist. A true
> devotee has no doubt and would believe they could wander off the end
> of the world and still be with their god.

The point is that being abroad, away from holy places and people who know the rituals, you have trouble keeping the rotes. Having learned the secret might very well change the perspective.

My former RQ character (and now major NPC) has a similar dilemma - as a Pelaskite culture citizen of Karse, I wanted him to be initiated to the city cult and/or the Pharaoh as well as his personal choice. Now he's ended up as a non-concentrated Hevduran senior apprentice with stand-alone Pharaoh feats gained on a Tournament of the Masters of Luck and Death and a Karse citizenship (common religion).