Re: Re: City gods

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:22:36 +0100

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:58:20 -0400, LC wrote:

>I have a question, since I don't know Pavis well.
>
>Looking at the write up of the cult as existing on the Issaries web site,
>http://www.issaries.com/hw/magical_pavis.html, I don't see why an Initiate or Devotee of
>Pavis would lose their magic outside the city.
>
>Some feats, such as Lose Pursuer in the Ruins and Command City Daimon will become
>useless, but a lot seem to be perfectly transportable. (Not the secrets, though)
>
>Game-mechanically, I don't see why an initiate or devotee would lose their feats and
>affinities by distance unless there's a specific provision against any magic related to
>Pavis ever being used outside the city walls, which I don't see.
>
>So I'm a little confused, how much would this character be losing by travelling?

The write up on the Issaries web site is somewhat out of date - a clue is that it's in the hw section of the site (but you have to be the type that worries about URLs to spot that).

In these days of HeroQuest the bulk of the think we think of as a cult of Pavis should be treated as Common Magic, and there is an update in the works to show things this way.

I am fairly convinced though that in addition to common magic for the populous there is also a full scale Cult of Pavis the Founder which is the one Fleeter Neem belongs to and is essentially the City Council with religious overtones.

But still, that said, why should Pavis' magic work only in Pavis' city? Well that's how things are, how gods work. They have an area of expertise and are powerful within that field and weak outside. Pavis is not a cult about the founding of cities, Pavis is not a cult about traveling to a new land and making a new life, Pavis is not even about making peace with strangers, though Pavis the man did all these things.

Pavis the god is the power of Pavis the City. Asking why Pavis has now power away from the city is like asking why the Mayor of London has no power of the New York subway system.