Re: Devotee v. initiate.

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:27:08 -0500

>From: "Light Castle" <light_castle_at_...>
>
>That's interesting. What does this relationship get used for in-game? Does
>it have any
>use outside of the initiation to begin with, or supplicating for a divine
>aid?

Seriously? Anything that the character does in furtherance of his religion. Lunars threatening your way of life? Then you get your relationship with Humakt as an augment when trying to stop them. Trying to establish a new temple?

Heck, with a quick prayer, I'd allow the augment. Think of it as what you get for that prayer all those times the diety doesn't personally respond.

I'm sure this is beyond what some people would use these things for, but they seem very applicable to me. This is one's *Faith* that we're talking about, their personal relationship with something they can't see. Think that can't move mountains? See the Crusades, and all of the other things both positive and negative accomplished because of faith.

I use these all the time in play and as a player. For instance, let's say I'm trying to get the local Vingan temple to help out with something (this happened in a game with Jeff Kayer at Origins to be precise). I had no relationship with the temple, but they could tell that my character was devout after speaking with her. So I got the augment for that - Jeff didn't even hesitate. This doesn't mean that this replaces the relationship with the temple, I'm sure it would have counted had I had one.

The difference between Initiate and Devotee is just color, like the difference between Liked by Mel, and Good Friend of Mel. Which is not to say that it's insignificant - these things can lead to all sorts of applicability modifiers. For instance, the GM might rule that another devotee was only so impressed by the devotion of another (-5 for initiates), but fully impressed by actual devotees. Or an initiate might feel the opposite way (that devotees are self-righteous). IOW, the answer is that what makes these different is the same thing that makes any two similar abilities different. Applicability.

Mike