Re: Re: City gods

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:51:31 -0700

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:

> And how do these reasons negate that flaw that his magic doesn't work
> outside the vincinity of Pavis? "Lord Pavis, you should allow me to
> use magic far beyond
> the city of Pavis because I am foolishly in love with Otta" is the
> equivalent of
> saying "God, you should allow me to use magic while being in grave
> breach of
> my vows of monasticism because of my foolish love for Otta".

The cases aren't parallel, precisely because the god *doesn't* prohibit leaving Pavis, even for personal reasons--whereas any god who accepted monastic vows would (presumably) prohibit breaking them.

You're conflating two different situations. I analogize: The would-be ex-monk is like a Chalana Arroy worshipper who finds a really neat magic axe, and asks Chalana Arroy if it's okay to use it in combat with his cult magic. CA says "no"; use the axe, and you're going to lose your magic. In fact, losing your magic will just be the beginning of your troubles, because the goddess will be really pissed.

The case here, though, is more like a Karrg worshipper (with lots of neat "mace" magic) who finds a really neat magic axe and wants to use it. There, Karrg doesn't have anything in particular against axes (just as Pavis doesn't prohibit leaving the city, even on a long trip). Rather, the problem is just that Karrg isn't an axe god, and doesn't really have any help to give (just as Pavis doesn't have power outside the city).

But there's a practical difference. Because the issue is practical, that leaves a lot of room for a narrator's "no, unless" or "yes, if". Perhaps there's a Karrg hero-cult that knows how to use axes. Perhaps there's a ritual to make any stolen weapon function like a mace. Perhaps there's a heroquest he can go on to have Karrg bless that weapon and consecrate it to his service. Lots of options, and perhaps that can be the focus of an adventure right there. (In that particular case, there is a ritual--"tree-chopping song"--which lets the Karrgist use axes as if they were maces.)

Similarly, since Pavis doesn't have any particular objection to his citizens seeing the world, there's room for some handwaving. Maybe "ambassador" magic, like people suggest. (Vague analogy: The way Crimson Bat cultists can act as a portable "glowspot"? Similarly, a Pavis hero might take a bit of Pavis with him.) Maybe there's a "traveler" hero-cult within Pavis, which lets you adapt your magic for strange places. Maybe a ritual to temporarily bind the hero to a friendly city. I think there are lots of options, if the narrator wants to get creative.