Re: Re: City gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:22:32 +1200

At 07:51 PM 8/10/04 -0700, you wrote:

>Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:
> >
> > And how do these reasons negate that flaw that his magic doesn't work
> > outside the vincinity of Pavis? "Lord Pavis, you should allow me to
> > use magic far beyond
> > the city of Pavis because I am foolishly in love with Otta" is the
> > equivalent of
> > saying "God, you should allow me to use magic while being in grave
> > breach of
> > my vows of monasticism because of my foolish love for Otta".

>The cases aren't parallel,

If I had ever said they were parallel, you might have a point. But I didn't. The cases are similar only in the feebleness of the excuses made.

>precisely because the god *doesn't* prohibit leaving Pavis,

But Pavis is _unable_ to provide magic beyond Pavis, which is what is being argued about here. It is not a question of whether or not he wants to, but whether he could do so. And the answer is that he _cannot_.

--Peter Metcalfe

---