Re: Re: City gods

From: Paul Williams <paul.williams_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:15:22 +0100

I'm replying to the digest so please ignore if this has already been covered in other posts since.

>>>But Pavis is _unable_ to provide magic beyond Pavis, which is
>>>what is being argued about here.

Are you making this up for your game Peter or is there some source for these statements about Pavis being *unable* to provide magic beyond the city of Pavis, and heroquests not being carried out to obtain personal benefit?

I only have the original (RQ) writeups for the Pavis cult so maybe there has been a new one published that I don't have yet, but I don't see any prohibition on magic use outside the city of Pavis, except in the specific instance of using City Harmony spell for RQ. Instead I find Pavis is limited magically in that he gets most of his powerful magic granted through other cults, either because he wrestled a power away from them (elementals) or because Pavis himself is limited to granting weaker magic. But nowhere can I find that once you step outside the city gates you can't use any of your Pavis magic. I would suppose that a magic specifically targetted for the city, like a form of the old City Harmony magic, would not be useful in a place that is not a city, just like a magic to sharpen blades would not repair a backpack. And indeed, the old writeup for City Harmony is the only place where I can find mention of area effect limited to New Pavis or the Rubble, but of course this limitation is just for this piece of magic and not for Pavis as a whole. Is there something published for Heroquest that I missed where it redefines this for either Pavis or city gods in general?

You also talked about Pavis being interested / not interested in subcults that operate outside the city of Pavis. Pavis himself was active outside the city of Pavis, particular major events were in Dragon Pass studying with the EWF & meeting Flintnail, in Shadow's Dance where he defeated Waha with the Faceless Statue, the Paps where he taught Aldryami healing. This, combined with Pavis' reliance on other subservient and associated cults for magic, indicates Pavis' interests do lie outside the physical city as well as within it. So I don't see how outside Pavis is not relevant to Pavis' purpose.

>>>Heroquests aren't carried out to obtain personal benefit.

I'm not sure how you meant this, but I don't think you can be saying that there is no personal benefit from heroquesting because quite obviously there is such a thing, so are you saying that the intention of all heroquesters is never to obtain personal benefit? In which case, I'm curious to know what your heroquesters then do with any personal benefit they derive from a heroquest, and how they try to avoid obtaining any personal benefit in future heroquests once they realise their error.

Paul