Re: Re: Re: City gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:49:55 +1200

At 01:15 PM 8/11/04 +0100, you wrote:

>Are you making this up for your game Peter or is there some source for these
>statements about Pavis being *unable* to provide magic beyond the city of
>Pavis

Gods of Glorantha has been referred to on this list.

>, and heroquests not being carried out to obtain personal benefit?

You heroquest for your god and people. Heroquesting so you can do magic beyond the city borders is excessively self-centred.

>You also talked about Pavis being interested / not interested in subcults
>that operate outside the city of Pavis.

No, the question was about a subcult that would allow Pavis cultists to use their magic when travelling in Sartar.

>Pavis himself was active outside the
>city of Pavis, particular major events were in Dragon Pass studying with the
>EWF & meeting Flintnail, in Shadow's Dance where he defeated Waha with the
>Faceless Statue, the Paps where he taught Aldryami healing.

Is there an temple embassy of Pavis (or somesuch) in Sartar? No. The awakening of the Faceless statute is Flintnail's cult, not Pavis's

>This, combined
>with Pavis' reliance on other subservient and associated cults for magic,
>indicates Pavis' interests do lie outside the physical city as well as
>within it.

Since I've never talked about the physical city as being the limits of Pavis's magic, the strawman does not convince. What I have stated is that Pavis has no interest in promoting pan-Heortling nationalism and that he is too weak to provide magic in Sartar. Where the precise borders of Pavis's power has not been stated.

> So I don't see how outside Pavis is not relevant to Pavis'
>purpose.

I await with interest the evidence for Pavisite diplomats in foreign places...

>I'm not sure how you meant this, but I don't think you can be saying that
>there is no personal benefit from heroquesting because quite obviously there
>is such a thing, so are you saying that the intention of all heroquesters is
>never to obtain personal benefit?

No, what I am saying is that gloranthans do not heroquest for a benefit that solely provides benefit to themselves and that there are far more productive outlets for heroquesting which I then listed.

--Peter Metcalfe

---