RE: Re: City gods

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:56:29 -0500

>From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
>
> >Thanks for all the canon, guys, but it doesn't change the point. Heroes
> >aren't "typical Pavisites," they're special by definition. Sure there are
> >probably a lot of reasons for them not to go, but the player can put in
>just
> >as many to go.
>
>And how do these reasons negate that flaw that his magic doesn't work
>outside
>the vincinity of Pavis? "Lord Pavis, you should allow me to use magic far
>beyond
>the city of Pavis because I am foolishly in love with Otta" is the
>equivalent of
>saying "God, you should allow me to use magic while being in grave breach
>of
>my vows of monasticism because of my foolish love for Otta".

Uh, Peter, check back. I've never argued that he could use his abilities outside of Pavis as magic. I agree with you. My point was that, given that this is how the setting is that we should come up with other ways to make the character valid. I don't have a problem with the idea of altering canon either, just that your view is just as valid. In any case, it all misses the point.

> >So, yeah, sure, for the average Pavisite devotee, they wouldn't go. But a
> >PC, sure, why not?
>
>Don't misrepresent the debate. The argument was about why shouldn't his
>magic work outside Pavis and the related statement that having Pavis
>magic restricted to the locality of Pavis is far too restricting.

See, here's the problem, Peter. The history of the thread is: