Re: Initiates using feats.

From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:01:44 +0100 (BST)

I can't recall saying they needed altering or fixing. Not as attractive as they might be, but not fundamentally "broken".

I was generally agreeing with Alex that they needed positioning a bit better in official publications - something I hadn't thought about before. He wondered why Minaryth was only an initiate, as one concrete example.

While there's a definite progression in general competence from Initiate -> Devotee -> Disciple (if they exist anywhere else outside Sartar) there's no big incentive and, more importantly, no published precedent, to suggest that hanging back as an Initiate stops a character from reaching it's full potential as fast.

My final comment on the matter was going to be that while Greg ~geuflects~ never managed to convince players to keep playing initiates in RQ, in HQ he'd finally found a way - by making Initiates a lot more flexible than Devotees. He'd made Initiates the powergaming option until you hit RuneLord, sorry, Disciple. [Incidentally, a position I'd still hold, especially after reading the Fahq U on the subject.]

I leave it to Sir's analysis as to what happened next - all I say is I didn't expect the transatlantic inquisition. Reminds me of the time I mentioned that my DnD group had gone whole sessions without a combat on a WotC message board.

Ash