RE: Re: City gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:12:38 +1200

At 10:42 PM 8/11/04 +0100, you wrote:

>And where does it specifically say that, for instance, the city guardian
>of Jonstown does NOT have an "arrangement" with Pavis, and *will* not,
>even after persuasion? I can't seem to find the reference myself.

Common sense. Most cities would have more important things to agree with first (such as reciprocal treaties and the like). Considering that such things are currently handled by the Empire, that is a very large boundary.

Secondly the device being resorted to here (I cast your magic for you in my city while you do it for me) goes far beyond the known levels of sharing magic in Runequest, Herowars or Heroquest. The known analogies of the river cults and the grain goddesses make it clear that initiates can transfer their worship easily while higher-ups have problems. For city-cults there is the additional hurdle of becoming a citizen in such circumstances.

--Peter Metcalfe

---