Re: Fw: DnD --> HQ

From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:15:19 +0100 (BST)

Darren asked about my conversion strategy.

The only method was "Make sure the characters feel the same to the players in both systems." I started with one broad characteristic each ("no one can beat him in a fight", "can go anywhere unseen" and "knows everything") and refined them from there.

For a couple of sessions after the conversion a couple of anomalies came up that needed correcting ("Hey, I used to be able to read lips!") and I needed some magic user rules for spellbooks (do it yourself grimoires), potions (one use spell in a bottle) and scrolls (one use portable grimoire).

Overall it's worked okay, the game world feels the same as it did before (there again, for a DnD world, there weren't that many magic items floating around that the characters didn't make themselves) and the game wasn't that combat heavy - probably only one punch up every other session (about 10 hours of play).

One thing you might like to do (which I didn't) is dish out keywords based on the characters class. This would have helped at least one of the missing ability problems.

Cheers,

Ash