Re: Re: Re: City gods

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:10:17 +0100

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> writes:

>No, what I am saying is that gloranthans do not heroquest for a benefit
>that solely provides benefit to themselves and that there are far more
>productive outlets for heroquesting which I then listed.

Peter, I can see your point with the other arguments you're making, but this is just plain wrong.

HQ rules page 193:
"Before setting out, the main character must decide first whether he intends to benefit his community or himself. He can keep the rewards of the myth for himself, but a community will rarely lend support to a quest if it does not stand to benefit."

In other words, purely self-interested heroquests are more difficult (because of the lack of support) and so will be much rarer and less likely to succeed. But that doesn't mean they _never_ happen.

For that matter, if somebody like Harrek or Ethilrist heroquests to boost their personal power, of course it'll also help their followers and hangers-on: if their leader is tougher, they'll win more fights and earn more plunder. But exactly the same can be said for _any_ personal heroquester: if they are stronger, then it'll indirectly help anybody on the 'same side' as them.

Stephen