Re: City gods

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:28:08 -0000

Dear all

The Great Pavis can he/would he/should he Debate

Ian Thomson Legacy of Pavis Page 6 gives a table of the worship distribution amongst Pavisites. Most (over 50%) worship Pavis as well as another deity. I think that this shows that most Pavis worshippers are likely to be Initiates, say, of Pavis and Vinga for example. My studies have also uncovered that you can concentrate common magic (making them active abilities) and improvise feats from your Vinga affinities (-10), which some other posters feel makes a very good character, and hey he is still a Pavis worshipper.

I cannot find anywhere in Ian Thompsons stuff or the RQ2 material that says Pavis magic cannot be used outside of the city apart from the obvious, like city harmony, but maybe a generous narrator would consider what the player was trying to achieve and allow with a suitable improv modifier. Page numbers and publications please. Can a Orlanthi cast a Thunder Bolt indoors?

What is specific is that Priests (devotees) and Champions must stay within the walls of the city except for special missions. I would not see this as License to bugger off to Sartar to *adventure*. Peter, is this what your getting at?

What I do think is perfectly viable is a the Pavis/other cult combo, and the reliance on common magic. It works and its canon as far as I can see. The rationale then is that he has flexibility and may return at some unspecified time in the future and become a Devotee or Champion then, a noble retirement of the character??

I'd be interested to here what you think.

Regards
Rob