Sartar

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:41:33 +0100

> > So, when the Flame of Sartar gets relighted, how do we go about
> > getting a "Sartar" affinity for our various Heortling and fringe
> > Heortling but emphatically nationalist characters?

RR:
> I'd say "we don't".
>
> KoS 138, on the cult of Sartar, says that "his magics worked
> for his heirs to the kingdom". Yes, "The spirit of Sartar
> continued to live on in the hearts and souls of his people",
> but the paragraph inclines me to understand that active,
> magic-granting worship of Sartar is only done by his family,
> and quite possibly the magic *only* works for the heir, not
> even his brothers/sisters/children until they ascend the
> throne on their own.

That's *her* (non-existent) relatives, once it's been relit.

But to return to the point...
I have an idea that back in RQ days, the (unofficial) cult of Sartar came in two parts. The ancestor-worship one, as you say, for descendants only. And the "we think Sartar is wonderful" one, for everyone else. Useful for keeping magical roads in repair, and so on. You can't expect the Prince to do all of that himself. Once the Flame was no longer there, the roads sank into disrepair.
TBH, the worshippers didn't get much out of it at all, they just put MP in and thereby supported the Kingdom. Sartar's city confederation rings may well have used it to some extent, since they were his idea. So yes, you could get a Sartar affinity. Just remember that every feat in it will be of benefit to the Kingdom of Sartar, not to you directly.