Re: Re: PC with no magic

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:32:05 +0100

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:47:39PM -0000, Jeff wrote:
> I let the players keep them. Its KNOWLEDGE, afterall (except for the
> charms). You know how you use it - you just don't. But if you do, you
> lose your concentration instantly and, of course, you have to both re-
> concentrate and explain to your local priest or shaman or orderly why
> you've been burping flames again.

*OIP* Beg pardon. I agree -- even when someone permanently loses an ability on a HeroQuest, say, I think it's a good idea to retain a note of it (even if in this situation, it might be 'worse' than never having known it at all). Never know when a character's 'history' might become unexpectedly 're-relevant'.

I do wonder if it wouldn't make things more 'interesting' if the 'backsliding' were not merely possible, but a slightly less drastic step. I haven't come up with anything more original than "out of concentration magic gets an HP cost penalty, and a sit-mod in use", though, together with the aforementioned priest-explaining-to.

> > Even better, if you're one of
> > these-accept-no-substitutes Devotees with the big
> > secret of Orlanth, you can't break concentration.

> I disagree with the extreme attitude you take on devotees. Perhaps
> you mean disciples?

Nope, he's correct as stated (snipped colourful metaphor aside, perhaps). p109 makes this pretty clear, even if it doesn't say 'concentration' in so many words.