Re: Sartar Common Magic?

From: jeffrichard68 <jeff.richard_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:37:55 -0000

Joerg writes:
> Sartar gathered his followers and started a ritual which made him
into a
> a) demigod or lesser god of the divine plane, with the flame a
> manifestation in the living world,
> or
> b) became a (somewhat greater) daimon of the land and the wyter of
his
> principality, or perhaps even Dragon Pass (since he was King of
Dragon
> Pass at that time, and the Praxian Marches up to Thieves Town in
Pavis,
> too).

I certainly don't Sartar is a "land daimon". IMO, Sartar and his land are not one - the connection is Sartar and his people. The tribes and rings of Sartar could leave Quiviniland and still invoke Sartar's blessing. A new people (say the foreigners in Wulfsland and the Enstalos) could settle in traditionally Sartarite land and still not be able to invoke Sartar.

As for whether Sartar is a lesser god or the wyter of his principality, I am inclined to believe he became both. I am disinclined to engage in categorical hair-splitting based on the HQ rules system - or any other system.

> IMO this would require some deeper relation to Sartar, and ought
not be a
> standard sartarite defense against offensive magic.

I agree.

Jeff