Re: City gods

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:32:30 -0000

> Well more generally, you have to fulfill your cult obligations to
> keep your magic. If you aren't around Pavis, for the most part
you
> can't be doing that.

Hmmm. I don't think that I would be *too* over hung up on this for my game.

> at cult services. Devotees have to be doing some of that, and more
> generally serving the city's interests.

I would not allow a devotee away from Pavis. Thats always been clear from the start, priests and champions must stay within Pavis actively serving the good of the city. I don't see a logical way around this long accepted fact, except...

> I could see short excursions, up to a few weeks, away from the
city
> not causing great problems.

Agreed, although in my Glorantha, this would only apply to devotees.

> But after at most a season I'd probably
> take away affinities, and make devotee feats something like "one
> use."

I generally don't agree with this in principle because of how I see the pervasive nature of magic in Glorantha, which of course is my personnal view, and I think would create an unbalanced situation of restriction vs benefit, with the restriction too harsh. Pavissites for example don't tend to have blockbusting magic for example as far as I know. In fact reading the Pavis stuff from Ian Thompson common magic is greatly used by Pavissites.

> So _this_ would be the purpose of an embassy. It would also be a
> shrine. So that when the cult needs someone to be resident
elsewhere
> to serve the city, they can continue their worship and keep their
> magic.

After thinking about this for a while, how about this. By 1617-1620 the mercantile venture has proved uneconomical. Into a theoretical trade vacuum created by a *possibly* now dis-interested Lunar traders. The notables of Pavis may be interested in setting up their own trading venture, possibly with the Wilmskirk confederation, the Heortlings in Sambari vale? Anyhow, suddenly I begin to see a Pavis embassy as something with possibilities. Consider me converted to the notion which I once opposed!! ;-)

Depending on what level the campaign is being pitched at I would still reserve the Devotee status for NPC's. There 60% of time being effectively their full time diplomatic and trading venture-set up job. Could tie in nicely with Trader Princes when its out. Pavis in Maniria?

Regards
Rob