RE: Re: Narrator freebie

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:58:14 +0100

Alex:
> I imagine the latter [deity learning power] is preferable, in both
Gloranthan and
> meta-game respects, but they're hardly ubiquitous, indeed. I
> suspect they will occur more often when it's some power
> that's considered "stolen" or otherwise "acquired" (like the
> magic weapons) or "learned through hard lessons" (like a lot
> of Orlanth's social magic), as opposed to things that are
> essentially 'inherent' to the deity (like Windiness).

True, and good point. Much easier to write myths for, too :)

> In these latter cases, I suspect the pattern might be a
> little like the old medical saw of "see one, do one, teach
> one". One participates in such a heroquest, but as 'chorus',
> and then as a companion, witnessing the deity (and some
> senior member of your religion embodying the role) accomplish
> the feat in question. Then one does generic stuff to
> 'estibalish one's identity" with the deity, and does it
> again, as the protagonist.

Good idea.

Now, how does one fit this to the situation of "right, anyone capable of learning a 'Fly <adverb>' feat, get over here. We learn it this morning and attack the Bat this afternoon."

> Game-mechanically, one might use
> a more general magical ability, or relationship, or virtue,
> at this point, rather than, as Jane says,
> rolling-against-the-ability-you-don't-have-because-you're-questing-
> to-get-it.

Sounds like a good start. Use the "teacher's" ability score as an augment, perhaps?