Casting magic on others?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:51:53 +0100

> Other options I'm not sure about. There's something very
> "unFeatlike" about the 'cast the magic on someone else',
> unless the magic specifically tags itself that way.

Really? Unless specified as "self" by the name, we've always ruled that you can cast your magic on others. Touch range and their agreement are generally assumed, of course - anything else gets complicated.

Though come to think of it, granting someone else an *ability* does seem vaguely wrong... I can't see a deity causing someone *else* to suddenly be able to do their special thing. Maybe this is just because most deities have a serious ego problem compared with humans? Or maybe not - Vinga has an "inspire others" ability. If she *could* suddenly make all the women in the stead better fighters by giving them her abilities, I'm sure she would. But I'm not aware of any myth where she does this, or even considers it. She just inspires them to use what abilities they've got.

Maybe if the person you're "casting the spell" on worships the same deity as you do? So from the POV of the deity, they're the same person? ("All these mortals look the same to me!")

And if you cast the "spell" on an inaninate object, like a sword, then lend it to someone, I don't see a problem.

Drat. More complications :(