Re: Re: Practice spirits have how many abilities?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:59:38 -0700

> Is there a limit to how many spirits a shaman or practitioner can
> have?

Nope. Though he can only have one Spirit Ally at a time, he can have any number of Charms and Fetishes.

> A shaman can only attack by using his spirirts right?

No, he can always use kung fu...

If you mean attack magically, then yes, shamans have no special attack magics (but then, unless they are in a cult with attack feats in their affinities or a school with attack spells in their grimoires, neither do Thesists or Sorcerers).

>I guess he
> must have a couple or three *biggies* for special use against
> powerful enemies.

It depends on the shaman.

> Am I right in saying that a powerful shaman, say 20M3 is not as
> powerful as, say, a theist of 10m2 in his best magical ability,
> because generally the shaman can only attack people by releasing
> spirits, which will be in the 12 to 10M range.

No, you're not right, because shamans have the most widely varied magical power-and-ability list going.

The shaman might have a tremendously big spirit (Take a look at the range of Oakfed spirits on page 150, for example) or release several at a time. If he is a combat monster he'll have appropriate spirits bound. (Of course, most shamans are *not* combat monsters, since shamanism isn't really about power in *this* world but the Spirit World, but that doesn't mean that he won't have some kick-ass spirits).

The ability ranges given in the book are for normal, low-level spirits. There are many spirits with much greater ability ratings.

The real restraint on an anamist binding a powerful spirit is the cost in HP to cement the fetish. A Friendly spirit is only a resistance 14 to befriend (and turn into a fetish). But it takes loads of HP to cement the fetish once you've got it. Of course, if you want one-use Spirit-bombs (basically, uncemented fetishes) they cost no HP...

RR
- Richelieu