Re: Re: Practice spirits have how many abilities?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:24:03 -0500

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>

> > I like the magical contest stuff - you know, stinging hail, blast of
> > air that kind of stuff. I take my inspiration here from soem of the
> > gwandor campaign write ups. Slightly variant, but very very cool.
>
>Again, all entirely possible with spirits (Storm ones, for those specific
>abilities).

Yeah. Did anyone ever post anything about that query about what the Kolating Spirits were like? I'm betting we'd find plenty to use in a battle there.

In any case, consider that battles as a form of conflict can be limited to being no more common than any other sort of conflict. Or less. That is, if you had, say, a character with spirits of diplomacy and light, etc, then you should throw him into contests that regard talking to folks and whatnot. Basically, you make the character look good by giving them contests in which they'll do well. If you have combat characters, give those guys combat. If you have Merchant characters, give them ways to win through bargaining. Match the conflict to the characters.

There's never an imperative to have any combat in the game at all if it's not appropriate to the characters playing. That's not even to say that combat can't be imminent, or occuring around the character. Just that even within those contexts, there are other goals to acheive that can make a character look very cool.

Mike

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/