Re: Practice spirits have how many abilities?

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:26:02 -0000

I think I'd forbid stacking of identical abilities (i.e. two bull spirits with a charge ability, only the highest would count if both were released), I don't see any justification other than play balance for forbidding a number of different spirits or a number of same spirits with different relevant abilities from all adding. The only rules constraint I guess is the action and roll to release each of them, so if you have a low relationship you can't count on it in a pinch.

> Im somewhat concerned about this potential power and have been
> thinking about how to handle it. Some people have said that you
need
> to make the animist think about when he releases the spirits, is it
> the right moment, will there be more moments etc, but with time it
> seems to me that an animist will have plenty of spirits to call
apon.
> Sure it costs 3HPs and then some more to setup a relation, but
thats
> what an animist does. A theist spends 3 HPs for +1, an animist can
get
> a usable fetish for about 8HP, and +20. A long played animist will
be
> running around with maybe a dozen fetishes...!!! Not to mention
when
> he becomes a shaman.

A dozen fetishes at 8HP each is 96 HP in magic, a theist devotee who put half his magic HP into one affinity (and let's say 9 of the original 20 development points too), would have a 16W in those feats. Definately not as nasty as adding +20 seemingly at will. However, using those active feats (and few spirits have active magical powers), means attacking with magic. That 16W is resisted by....maybe a spirit at 20. Maybe some other practioner ability at a hefty penalty. Not to say that the canny practioner doesn't make a point of tracking down an extra large defensive spirit, but such a thing is not always available. So I think the animast makes a fearsome berserker--or general warrior--but is not necessarily very resistant to magical attack.

> And just to mention it, animists get their cult secrets at 1/3rd
the
> cost that a theist does!

Yes! This makes cult secrets MUCH more relevant when making a practioner. Maybe someday I'll get to play my Grazer-entertainer- Folorene practioner/master spy :-)

> Yes one answer is to design your scenarios to counter the threat,
but
> as the players progress it becomes more difficult to do that, AND
it
> makes single encounter spur of the moment type things really
> pointless... you encounter a rampaging giant chasing a child across
> the plains, I release 4 spirits and go and smack the giant back
over
> the Zola Fel. (of course there are ways to get around anything, I
> merely use this as an illustration of my point).

I agree with you in general, but of course the other thing to do is have smart opponents who switch skills. "Wow, he just became some sort of massive magical bull who can squish me like a bug. Let's change to my "confuse enemy" talent, and bid high, since his AP aren't up so I have a shot at taking him out quickly. Of course sometimes players get to take the iniative and choose their own ground and use their best abilities--after all it is fun to show off your best stuff sometimes. But most of the time if your opponent shifts into an ustoppable combat machine the opponents will run away...and come back later to set an ambush, or get them while they are sleeping, or attack using ranged magic, or.....

> My point being that my players and I are all coming to believe that
> developed animist character is pretty damn tough.

I agree with you, I think they really can be tough, especially in their main area of competence. I think this varies somewhat with practice (some have quirkier spirit selections than do others). I think at the level most games will spend most of their time at, they are very potent.

Regards;

--Bryan