Re: Animists vs others, gameplay in general...

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:28:20 -0000

I am surprised that smart and aggressive players are letting opponents get in that many unrelated actions unchallenged to release all those spirits. Neither should the opponents of a spiritist player stand back and watch the obvious magical powering up take place.

>>he is probably 2
> > masteries up on the theists (assuming they might be one mastery
up
> on
> > him normally), so he has 40 pts to play with. He could easily
> attack 6
> > people at once and still be a mastery up. NOw this is a
> simplified
> > view, and plenty of things cant prevent it, but it isnt out of
> hand.
>
> Remember that you get the increase to your ability level OR the
> extra APs, not both.(HQ pg.137)

Which makes the animist extremely hard but in an eggshell sort of way. Against attacks not relevant to their one boosted ability they have no bonus and no additional AP - one good attack bypassing the ability boost can take them down. Against an Axe Fighting 10W4 ability direct magical attacks or alternative tactics[1] become invaluable.

> One tactic I've mentioned before is to use the Dispelling Magic
> rules on HQ page 100. That way you're only dealing with the magic
> ability itself rather than with the final increased ability, at
> least as I interpret the rules.

I would also allow various fight/dispel/hurt spirit abilities to directly weaken the spirit's magic. This may be best handled as an unrelated action, depending on circumstances and the needs of the story.

[1] As a cinematic example of non-magical means to bypass the boosted ability. The mighty Waha warrior glows wih the power of spirits aiding him (+60 in in Axe combat as per examples above) - the lunar officer puts a knife to the throat of the bison-man's wife and using Intimidate ability augmented by his own relationship to her forces the barbarian to surrender.

On second thoughts the Lunar could attempt to intimidate with the standard "if you kill me the empire will crucify your whole clan, and flay the animals alive." My point being that an opponent with +60 to axe combat (should you allow it to happen) should be regarded by the players as a challenge to find an alternative solution, not as an insurmountable obstacle.

--
Nic