Re: Animists vs others, gameplay in general...

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:37:56 -0000

> I was interested in reading this as my group are very much the
same. I was
> wondering what people's experiences are?

We don't have this at all. I believe that it can only happen if there is a mastery difference -which means that you should maybe revert to simple contests. My guys (and I) roll natural 20's and if there is not a mastery difference then a HP will mitigate the negative effect but result in AP loss. I played a game when IK made a desperation bid and the GM rolled a 1! Tranfer and dead character.

> Personally most contests in my game are now simple ones and I
crave more
> realistic ones as per the book. Instead I have a steady stream of
simple
> contests where the characters slowly accrue Hurts through the
scenario -
> healing magic in my Glorantha is rare and limited in the timescale
of
> scenarios. The final challenge is often more of a challenge due
to the
> depleted state of the heroes rather than an exciting cut and
thrust extended
> combat...

Hmmm. Maybe having a think at how the combat will run out. Also, in my game as we have fighters and non fighters - the fighters end up doing cool stuff to go and save their buddies for example. By the same token we have a scholar who has a habit of rolling 1's in combat!

Also, my players tend to make conservative bids in the quater to a third level. Also, I ask how determined a character is and make sure the bid reflects that. A bid of all or most of your AP's if you have a pool of 30+ is pretty risky if your running low.

Just a few thoughts, hope they help.

Regards
Rob