Magic Resistance Again (Was: Thunderstone Slingers)

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:42:12 -0500

>From: bethexton_at_...

>How much harder seems to me that it should be an issue of balance,
>enough of a penalty so that buying up magic is a reasonable choice,
>but not so high that buying up your magic is the only reasonable
>choice. -10? -20? I don't know the answer, I just know the effect
>I want to see, that of magic being the usual defense against magic,
>but that a magical attack against someone's mundane strong suit
>cannot just ignore it.

What we came up with last time as an interesting rules hack, is to allow mundane abilites to augment, but not to be used as the primary resistance. Meaning that if they don't have an appropriate ability that the augment adds to the default 14. This seems to work pretty well in practice.

On a similar note, do people allow basic worship ratings to be used as magical defenses? That is, if I'm, say, just a Lay Worshipper of the Orlanthi Pantheon, can I use Worship Orlanthi Pantheon 17 as a defense?

If so, then everyone has an ability at 17 or higher for defense, and the 14 is only ever going to be used for inanimate objects. That could be the case, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Mike