Re: Thunderstone Slingers

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:34:48 -0000

Close enough to an epiphany for me! I really like that take on it. So you could not dodge a thunderstone feat--it will hit you. But you can try to tough it out, take it on your shielf, or even use your dodge to take it in a less important part of your anatomy (although that last thought brings visions of Storm Bulls "heading" thunder stones.....)

> Alternatively the Lunar could use Gesture to ward off magic. This
is
> straight magic resistance and may weaken or cancel the magic
itself.
> (I really do not comprehend the comment about improv modifier in
the
> rulebook because it uses the ability rating of Common Magic. Anyone
> care to explain?)

I *think* that the intent is that "gesture to ward off magic" is not the super-defense-against-all-magic. That is, like calling on your "initiate or Orlanth" of some such other generic magical skill, you can use it against anything, but it takes an improv modifier against everything. (insert long-winded rant about an improv modifier doesn't prevent long=term abuse here).

Also, I *think* what was supposed to be happening in that example was that "Jane" was getting another of undefined things defined, that is she had five common magic abilities but they weren't defined, so needing a magical defense she chose "Gesture to ward off magic", and since she hadn't put any of her starting points into it, she got it starting at the key word level, 17.

Regards;

--Bryan