Re: Cheap Secrets?

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:56:46 +0100

Greetings and Salutations
2004-10-04-1645.

Jane Williams wrote:
> Just want to check I've understood Secrets properly. As I understand it,
> (HQ p12), to start learning a cult's Secret, you have to have a minimum
> of 1W2 in each of the three Affinities. That seems nice and clear. Two
> masteries. Lots. This is not going to be common.

Starting from 17 that's 24 points of improvement per affinity. That's 72 HP per affinity to improve if you are concentrated. 216 HPs in total *just* to get a 13 rated ability. That would take one of my players 36 game sessions if they paid every HP just into their three affinities. That is three years of play. I can see very few having the secrets of their gods but that would be no big worry.

> But, I've met and heard of several Vingans going around with Vengeance
> Blades. That's the Secret of the Vinga the Avenger subcult. (ST p177).
> The Vingans in question (one was a pre-gen PC in a convention game)
> didn't have anywhere near that level in their affinities.

That was a character I wrote for my demo games.

Tenla the Rock.
Athletic, robust, tall, and strong with natural ginger hair and a fiery temper to match. Yet during combat she is a calm tactical warrior with superior judgement. She is always in competition with men, racing, boozing and wrestling with them. She got her name (contrary to her nature) by her rock-smashing slice talent. She was renowned for her jollity until her father and brother were slain by Arrantha the Axe - nowadays she laughs no more. She now reveres Vingan Avenger, has forged her reprisal sword 'Vengeance' aided by the DeathLords and has learnt counter-axe techniques to aid her aspiration. 100 words.

> Am I missing something? Is the Blade of Vengeance not a Secret as such?
> Is there some quick&easy way of learning a Secret that I'm missing?

Tenla gained her reprisal sword 'Vengeance' in her 100 words although she could have bought the ability for 1HP in game. Alot cheaper than the 216HP to get the secret. Cheaper? oh yes! This was a +7 sword with a 14 ability of ambiguous nature that involved reprisal and/or vengeance in some way. Not the big bang of the cult secret but her foes will not know that. ;-)

Cheers,
DARRAN SIMS

Go to Continuum! NOW!!!
http://www.continuum.uk.net
For the Yahoo Group goto:
continuum2004-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even Death may die." - H.P.Lovecraft