Re: Ranged Combat - excellent example

From: Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:19:42 -0000

> Incidentally, in the example of the tarshites and the hoplars,
> why wouldn't the skirmishers bid really high (with almost a
> mastery advantage) to try to finish the fight? I know my
> players would try to bid high, and I've had to start saying
> that the archer can't bid high unless he's doing something that
> is potentially risky (holding fire until the charging wolf is
> at point blank range) rather than something with little risk
> (shooting at fleeing peasants while hiding in a defensive
> position.)

If your position is not risky (shooting at fleeing peasants while hiding in a defensive position), you could have a big bonus, so your starting APs are much better. Bidding 10 points (Resistance for the peasants?) is risky if you have 17 APs, but not if you have 47, for example.

Alternatively (or at the same time), you could use edges when there is a lot of difference in risks. Then, you bid 10 points, but you have an edge of ^10, so, if you win, your enemy lose 20 APs, but if you lose, you only lose 10 APs.

If you have a good position, without risks, of course you could try to finish the fight, but then the narrator should apply some advantage in game terms.

Regards,

Antonio