Re: Slings & Arrows....

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:56:19 -0000

I think it is one of those things where you could handle it several different ways, so long as everyone in the group knows how it will be handled.

For things where the "ammo" will be one or two (javelin, dagger), you could keep count. After all, in the course of a contest many skills will and won't be applicable at different times. So if the player has one knife and throws it, they can't use their knife again until they take an action to get another knife somehow. Just remember (and remind your players) that not ever "attack" has to be an actual shot. That is, a smallish bid might be "I draw back and get ready to throw the moment he moves." (the "knife throwing" might be at a improv disadvantage here, but could probably be auto-augmented with things like "intimidate," else the attack could be made with another ability with knife throwing as the augment (looking like you know what you are doing makes the threat more viable).

But who wants to count 20 arrows? On top of which, an attack might be no arrows, or several. That is, an action might be "I make just a 3AP bid, getting aimed at him, accounting for the wind and so on." or it could be "That rock isn't perfect cover! I nock and fire several arrows as fast as I can, arcing them high up in the air to drop down near him. Not really trying to hit him so much as convince him that if he doesn't move one of my arrows will eventually hit him." In that latter example and degree of defeat on the archers roll might be interpreted as "you are getting low on arrows, many more shots and you'll be out of them."

I doubt this really helps much....

--Bryan