Re: Animism: multiple traditions?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:57:38 -0700

> Just starting to get to grips with animism, and struggling a bit.
>
> Is it possible to be a member of more than one tradition, if they're
> compatible and friendly? Like you can be an initiate of more than
> one cult?
>
> I'm thinking in particular of the Darjiini SurEnslib tradition ILH
> p32) and Jakaleel's "from dark" tradition (HQ p141).

I'd put it as "Extremely unlikely, but possible".

As noted on page 131, a tradition is a complete religion - more like "The Heortling Pantheon" than "The cult of Humakt". Belonging to two Traditions may well lead to incompatibilities in spirits: "Well, if you want to be friends with *those* spirits I won't be your friend, so there pbpbpbpbth!" but that has to be determined on a case-by-case basis. Also, Holy times and Sacred Ceremonies might overlap between your two Traditions (Harvest Festivals, and the like), meaning you could easily piss off one Great Spirit by attending the other one's ceremony. Practices within a tradition are more like cults within a pantheon, and belonging to multiple practices *is* definitely possible.

But it must be said that Animists have the easiest time picking up different magical abilities. No "you must worship only me" of the Theist Devotee (even for shamans), no "There are no gods but me" of the Sorcerer. There's nothing to prevent you from meeting and befriending (or beating up) spirits from another tradition.

RR
- Richelieu