RE: Re: Animism: multiple traditions?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:37:37 -0500

>From: "Tim Ellis" <tim_at_...>

>If I want to leave the Tradition, I can (Probably) do so on friendly
>terms, though I (should) lose my charms, and my fetishes will stop
>working once I release the spirits.
>
>I don't think I can be a member of two traditions at the same time
>(? - So if I decide to become a Lunar and worship the Moon Spirits
>I'd have to give up my traditional Darjinni spirits).

This is circular reasoning. To paraphrase, "I can't be in two traditions at once, so I have to leave one to join another, meaning I can only have the spirits of one at a time, meaning I can only be in one tradition at a time." Sure, if you start with the notion that you can only be in one religion at a time, then this is true. But I can't find any rule that says that. All of the rules speak to joining religions. There's talk about how it's important for particular religions that you only be in them, or that you can't join conflicting religions because they won't let you based on principle.

But does it acually say anywhere that a character can only be a member of one religion at a time? I don't think it does, and I think that this isn't an omission, either.

So, like Rory said, difficult? Sure. Unlikely? Yes. Problematic? Almost certainly. But not mechanically prohibited.

In real life, especially in ancient times, people syncretized their religions all the time. In some cultures it was expected that you'd worship the gods of several pantheons (the Romans, most notably, worshipping Greek, Persian, Egyptian and more gods). I think that HQ makes this expressly possible, and for good reason.

I'd be glad to be corrected if I have this wrong.

Mike

Don�t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/