Re: Animism: multiple traditions?

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:39:08 -0000

I think that is, in part, why units are usually magically pretty homogeneous, and are often drawn from one region. The whole unit can worship together, and either as part of the unit or as an attachment there will be someone who can conduct services. That is easy for westerners, liturgists are pretty low commitment, and will often even be part of the troops I think. For theists it probably means a seperate priest for most standing units, except for those with many devotees (like some of the humakit bands) who could no doubt perform the ceremonies and sacrifices in a pinch. For animists, I'm pretty sure that practioners can do their own ceremonies, they are just limited in the getting of spirits. So a unit is better off with periodic shaman contact to help them "re-load," but they can probably get along on their own for extended periods of time.

At least, that is what I think at the moment.....could be dead wrong!

--Bryan