Re: Knowing the adversary's AP

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:37:42 -0400

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> > As I understand the rules, you can ask the Narrator what is your
> adversary's
> > current AP are, once he or you have transfered/forfeit APs.
> >
> > Is that correct ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > What is the rationale behind that ?
>
> "When I left I was the learner, but now *I* am the master"
>
> "You are good, old man, but not as good as me"
>
> "because I'm not left-handed either"
>
> There are numerous times that the protagonists can tell how good their
> opponent is and how the fight is going.

"You've got them on the run!"

> > Knowing the exact current APs of the adversary is a major advantage, as it
> allows
> > the player to do mathematical bid calculation, which could spoil the fun
> of
> > the contest.
>
> Uh, so don't do that.

I think that's something I'm going to encourage. Number crunching can destroy the mood [hi steve! =) ]

> > I would have expected that the player could not know that crucial point
> unless
> > he his using some kind of feat or skill ? Or unless he assesses the AP
> according
> > to howc the adversary perfom during the contest ("OK, that guy appears to
> be
> > good at fighting" kind of thing, but not "OK, that guy is 10AP more than
> me
> > !), or according to description made by the Narrator ("Your adversary
> seems
> > destabilized, and close to running away").
>
> Since it was a relic from Robin's draft, I'll let him explain more if it
> needs it.
>
> RR

Besides, most of my PC's seem to be able to keep track of the running AP's in their heads. Afterall, at the start of the engagement, we do actions in order of AP totals...

...sigh. Want copy of rules. Want. Waaa.

Jeff