RE: You're in the army now

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:39:56 -0500

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

>But if I'm a Darjiini, in their warrior practise (Black Death Snake),
>and I want to join the army, I'm already in a warrior religion.

Well, again, I think Darjiin is an exception. That is, I think that it's probably pretty rare to find Darjiini in any unit. And those that are probably have to convert.

>Same would go for a Bisos Hazar.

Not sure about that one, but are you sure there's no regiment for them? Maybe it's just not mentioned?

>Both the ones you mention are "standard" 7
>moms - you know, "standard" as in no-one in the ILH actually seems to
>worship them :)

Well, that's because it's the "Provincial Religion." Meaning that those in Tarsh do worship them. Which is only not in ILH, because it's in the basic book. Again, if it's a prominent warrior cult, then there's probably a unit that worships them on the road with roving priests and everything they need.

Also, I think that there's supposed to be versions of the 7 Sisters gods as "full" theistic gods in the overall "lunar" religion, no? Maybe not, but I thought that the Lunar religion was available to anyone in the empire, and had such dieties. But we don't even have to go there. How about Polaris? I'm sure there are Dara Happan regiments. I'm sure that a Darjiini would stay far away (everyone, really), but there could be a Shargrash regiment from whatevertheheck that benighted city is. The appropriate aspect of Yelm (Yelmalio?)? Sheng-Seleris? Conquering Daughter?

Just what I rememeber from the book. I'm sure the wonks can give you better references to who has regiments.

> > Along with keeping the
> > army cult as long as they can find a way to worship as well.
>
>Which of course raises the question of what the "army cult" *is*. This
>looks horribly as if generating a Lunar solider as a PC is going to be
>very difficult. You have to invent a cult/practise/whatever for the unit
>you join, and there don't seem to be many clues in the ILH. (Well, there
>are. They say you use the "soldier" religion from your homeland.)

I don't see why it should be substantively different. Which is to say that all of the Tarshite warriors in the Tarshite regiment who worship Yanafal Tarnils simply do it as a community of soldiers. In fact, looked at from this POV, there are probably some cults that do not have "non-army" versions. The only community that worships them is probably the regiment itself.

>Yes, this would be how you add a *third* religion to the existing two,
>and is why my proposed Lunar PC will not be concentrating her magic... I
>want to keep story options open!

Sweet. In the phase of the game I'm just getting into running now, randomly most of the characters ended up as really very uncommitted worshippers. Only one practitioner and one sorcerer (who, again, really isn't against any other religions, so much as just into his form of magic) out of seven characters. Given that, and a tendency for their goals to be about "finding themselves" to an extent, I think we're going to see a lot of religious shifting and testing. Which should be fun.

Mike