Re: You're in the army now

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:01:45 -0700

> But if I'm a Darjiini, in their warrior practise (Black Death Snake),
> and I want to join the army, I'm already in a warrior religion. Same
> would go for a Bisos Hazar. Both the ones you mention are "standard" 7
> moms - you know, "standard" as in no-one in the ILH actually seems to
> worship them :)

When you join the army you'll join a regiment that worships Black Death Snake (or Bisos Hazar, or whatever) or one that will at least accept your god, or one you can change to easily - a subcult or something similar.

Actually, you probably joined the regiment *before* starting to worship your warrior god. Unless your family is retired Army, there's probably no reason for you to worship a War god before joining the army (even if they are retired Army they probably changed worship - Black Death Snake won't help you raise crops or run a store). Remember that most of the Empire is civilized, not like Sartar. People with homocidal tendencies will be funneled into the army or into the criminal system (worshipping a war god outside of the Army is primae facie evidence of homocidal tencdencies...).

> > As soon as they muster out,
> > they'll probably be able to pick it back up again.
>
> Well, if they go home.... If they take up their land grant Somewhere Odd
> (Sartar, say), then they're probably in even more trouble.

Any Colonia will have religious leaders to provide worship services. Even Duke Raus has Daryli Godspeaker as part of his Household.

> > Along with keeping the
> > army cult as long as they can find a way to worship as well.
>
> Which of course raises the question of what the "army cult" *is*. This
> looks horribly as if generating a Lunar solider as a PC is going to be
> very difficult. You have to invent a cult/practise/whatever for the unit
> you join, and there don't seem to be many clues in the ILH. (Well, there
> are. They say you use the "soldier" religion from your homeland.)

Change the deity's name, file off the serial numbers, swap around some abilities and magic. Most regimental deities are going to be very similar. You'll have Myths of [deity] and the relations available (Initiate & Devotee or Practitioner or Liturgist, etc), magic related to the particular fighting style of the regiment, maybe some magic for the unit's secondary function (Horse magic, or Scouting magic, or Engineering Magic, or whatever). Maybe something totally off the wall. I, personally, find the hardest part to be writing the myths of the deity and the history of the regiment; the rest is pretty boiler-plate.

The regiment will teach you to fight with the regimental weapons, the other stuff from the "Soldier" keyword, and possibly some secondary abilities not normally included in the Keyword.

If you need some regiments, Jane, I can provide them for you, but you need to come up with the myths & history :-).

> > Let's say
> > that the character is a Yanafal Tarnils Initiate garrisoned in Sartar
> > somewhere. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that some of these
> folks
> > had somewhat "gone native" and had joined the Destor cult in secret.

Um, this is a *very* rare occurance. Like, Dara Happan Never. You might give up your previous worship to join a "native" cult, but mixing Pantheons this way (especially these *particular* ones) *is* going to lead to problems. (You *do* realise that Destor is one of the cults forbidden by the Sartar Occupational Authority, don't you?). Your not just "joining a third cult", you're joining a second *Pantheon*. Big No-No.

RR
- Richelieu