Re: You're in the army now

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:39:52 -0700

> OK. My idea is that the main reason she joined the army was to see the
> world outside the swamps, and try to avoid anything actually dangerous.
> Yes, it seems daft, but according to the news there are Americans who do
> this :)

So she ended up in... the Upland Marsh?!? Bummer :-(. I suppose it *does* have different flora and fauna than the Darjinnian swamps...

> Hmm, I see what you mean. "worshipped by executioners, bodyguards, and
> fell warriors", it says here. I'd assumed that everywhere has its own
> army/warriors, and joining the Lunar army instead of the local one is
> sort of like the Gurkhas joining British regiments. You're already a
> local warrior, you just go and sign up with a bunch of foreigners.

You can think of it as local or garrison forces and "Imperial Army" if you like. All the satraps/potentates/puffed up governers/etc have local defense forces. These will (pretty much by definition) be based on the culture that they are in (or be imported by the potentate, so that they don't have local connections...). But there is also the "Imperial Army" that gets sent to far-away, exotic locations. A lot (most) of the units in the IA are "Old Culture" regiments. For example, the Stone Wall Phalanxes are culturally Dara Happan, even though they are part of the Imperial Army. The Silver Shields (MoLad 18) are Sylilan/Provincial. The Thunder Delta Slingers are Eolian, etc. You shouldn't expect to find a Carmanian in any of those units (except for Player heroes or Narrator characters).

Then there are pure "Lunar" regiments, raised within the last 300 years, worshipping a Lunar being, etc. They'll accept anyone, from anywhere (though some are probably more prestigious than others, or *prefer* particular types of people). This is good for your Dara Happan Peasant Who Ran Away From Home, or Dara Happan Woman Who Wants To Be A Fighter or Darjiniian Who Hates the Swamp, etc.

> > Any Colonia will have religious leaders to provide worship
> > services.
>
> And with the mix of PCs we've got here, we'll need a few :)

There *is* a Lunar god-talker equivalent coming in ILH2.

>But we're *not* all cut-out identical characters from the same homeland.
>That would be mind-blowingly boring, and a waste of all the colour in
>the ILH. We have my Darjiini (who likes the Marsh but not the undead),
>the Carmanian Humakti (full plate, big sword) who loathes the marsh but
>likes the "target rich enviroment" of undead, the idealistic (and
>cashiered) young Dara Happan officer (and his wyvern), and the chap from
>Vanch who can get you anything for a price.

With the Carmanian and the Swampwalker, you've got a reason to be near the Marsh ("We need people who can take care of themselves in a swamp full of Undead. Who do we have in the area?"), An Officer to lead them, and a hanger-on :-). It looks like someone actually was looking out for you, otherwise you'd have had two heavy cavalry chaps, a desert raider and a phalangite, none of which are any use in a swamp ;-).

If you were in the same unit, then it had to have been a Vexilla with this mix of otherwise incompatible people. (What do the Dara Happan and the "scrounger" worship?). The Officer, if he is a wyvern rider, is most likely partly Lunar in his worship, as wyvern-riding isn't particulalry Solar (Big bird, Sure. Big lizard? No.)

>Are we saying this obvious campaign premise isn't actually possible?

You're making it pretty hard on yourselves ;-). (So we have a Trollkin, a Dragonewt, a Dwarf and a Pentan? Okay, let's go hit Gimpy's and see if we can find a treasure map!)

Like I said, you've got two people that are uniquely suited to the location, (and a Wyvern is pretty useful, too!). You might want to find out if there are any nearby garrisons with appropriate religious leaders. (Whoever set you up here wouldn't have left your religiously berift, would he?). (Also, The Swamp Spirits you worship might or might not be contactable locally...).

Have your regiments left Dragon Pass since your land grant? It may be that they are still within reasonable distance for ceremonies. (Having Darjinnian swampfolk near the Upland Marsh makes good tactical sense, though Good Tactical Sense isn't something you expect form an Army... Oh, wait, 1619? Then Fazzur's in charge, and he *does* have good tactical sense)

Or, you could include appropriate religious leaders among your followers (Follower 17: Red Snake Tongue (Spirit Talker 17, Practitioner of Black Death Snake 17) (okay, so that's two keywords, make him a Sidekick). That would take care of your personal needs!

RR
- Richelieu