RE: You're in the army now

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:47:44 -0500

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

>Maybe this is where I'm going wrong (being Orlanthi at heart). I think
>of "Lunar" as a culture. Roughly the way I think of "British" as a
>culture.

Heh. Try "American Culture" on for size. I think it's ironic that you only recently noticed how like the romans the Lunars are. Ever noticed how like the Romans we Americans are? Right down to all of our governmental regalia (Classical architecture, eagles, fasces - yep, the eagle in American symbology holds the same symbol that stood for Fascism in WWII Italy).

There is an English Culture. There is no Lunar Culture, other than it's composed of that of it's constituent parts. Just like there's no American Culture. Let's see, I'm German, Scottsh, Irish, Swedish, and a few other things. Ask any American, and they'll give you that list of what they are. Nowhere in there will they say that they're American. Ask a "Lunar" and he'll tell you about his Dara Happan ancestors. American, and Lunar, are belief systems.

>Undecided - it seems unlikely to me. After all, we have no farming
>skills at all between us. How do Lunars usually work these land grant
>things? All I know is the mention of a "verro" on ILH p. 13.

Well, interestingly, when Roman farmers got land grants, what they'd do is hire some slaves who knew what they were doing to work the land. It was said that they became farmers, but that means only that they were landowners who employed their land for farming - not that they had any idea how to farm neccessarily (at least not to start).

Get some strong Heortling boys from the nearest oversupplied cottars. I'm sure they'll appreciate it. :-)

Mike

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx