RE: You're in the army now

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:04:46 +0100

> >Maybe this is where I'm going wrong (being Orlanthi at
> heart). I think
> >of "Lunar" as a culture. Roughly the way I think of "British" as a
> >culture.
>
> Heh. Try "American Culture" on for size.

If I knew enough about it to comment I might. It registers as "overpaid, oversexed, and over here" as far as I'm concerned, plus McDonalds and Coke. I doubt if this is a fair representation (I hope not).

> I think it's ironic that you only
> recently noticed how like the romans the Lunars are.

"recently"??? Ten years plus is recent??? Of course the Lunars are Roman! The concept of them being anything *else* (other than Soviet Russia) is the new one.

> Ever noticed how like the Romans we Americans are?

No.

> Right down to all of our governmental regalia
> (Classical architecture, eagles, fasces - yep, the eagle in American
> symbology holds the same symbol that stood for Fascism in WWII Italy).

I'd noticed a few copied symbols, but no actual similarity. But this is probably getting a bit OT?

> There is an English Culture.

You could have fooled me. And I'm English. Well, I'm British, but in this case that means a Celt/Saxon who doesn't like Normans much :)

> There is no Lunar Culture, other than it's
> composed of that of it's constituent parts. Just like there's
> no American Culture.

To an outsider, there most certainly is. Very recognisable, and rather unpleasant. Yes, now you mention it, I *can* see similarities to the Lunars :)

How long's the Lunar Empire been "unified"? (Really, I have no idea.) How long for America - about a century - since the ACW, at a guess? Britain - we joined with Scotland in the mid 1600s, so going on for 400 years. Well, a thousand or so to have a unified England and a loosely conquered Wales. The Roman Empire lasted, what, 400 years, too, maybe a bit more? So which willl be the better comparison, I wonder?

> Well, interestingly, when Roman farmers got land grants, what
> they'd do is
> hire some slaves who knew what they were doing to work the
> land. It was said
> that they became farmers, but that means only that they were
> landowners who
> employed their land for farming - not that they had any idea
> how to farm
> neccessarily (at least not to start).

This was my idea, roughly. Lunars do have slaves, after all. Keeping them from escaping will be another matter, of course.