Re: Digest Number 1669

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:27:33 -0700 (PDT)

>Mike Holmes:

> Actually, I believe that spiritists do join
> the core practice as well.

Spiritists _can_ join a practice, either as a spiritist or as a practitioner. But what I think you meant is that spiritist are members of a core practice automatically. This is incorrect. The example in the book is of a hero who does not initially join a practice.

> But apparently spiritists can. That is, it
> seems that as long as one is not a
> practitioner at all, that one can be a
> member of as many traditions as will allow
> them.

Well, I could not find a rule expressly prohibiting it. That said, I'd only allow it for lunars and other strange exceptions that ought to have their heads removed.

> This seems like a very odd way to state such
> a limitation. Why not just say that a
> practitioner is limited to only one
> tradition?

Because it is so obvious it need not be said. I'd have said it more strictly -- you can only be a member of one tradition (with exceptions approved by your narrator).

> Is it legalese to avoid contradicting the
> Independent Practice exception? That is, to
> avoid making it an exception, they simply say
> that you can't join a core practice, from
> which it follows that you can't join any
> other practice, except for an Independent
> Practice?

Err. I think you are mixing categories. You can only be a member of one core practice. You can _also_ join the helper and enemy practices of your tradition and you can join independent practices, which have no traditions.

Chris Lemens

Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail