Re: Re: Animism: multiple traditions?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:54:01 -0700

> I think it is impossible to be initiated into the mysteries of more
> than one religion. For instance, Boltho is a pantheon worshipper of
> the Storm Tribe. I think (although Roderick might correct me) that
> Boltho could be a pantheon worshipper of the Seven Mothers as well.
> Not a problem.

The Seven Moms are a wierd exception to a bunch of rules, BUT, for Storm/Lunar, I'd say the answer is "no" because of the general nature of religion in Glorantha. Say with Storm/Solar, or Rokari/Praxian or Esvulari/Teshnan or almost any other combination.

The Lunars are *part* of the religions of the Empire (through various means). That's why you can be a Yanafal Tarnilsi and a Yelmie at the same time.

(There has been a lot of writing on how good the Lunars are at converting people, but they really haven't done anything to people outside the Empire, and most of those religions in the Imperial Borders (except Carmania and the Alakoring provinces) are related to each other, though they are far enough apart to not be inter-worshippable. But they haven't made much in the way of progress among the Praxians, Pentans, or Heortlings (Tarsh being Alakoring instead of Heortling))

If Boltho wants to worship the 7 Moms *and* the Storm pantheon, he's going to bring down the (minor) wrath of the gods on his family. He is"abusing" his religion. He is close to apostasy (almost even worse than true apostasy...).

> Korlmhy is devoted to Orlanth Thunderer. He cannot make sacrifices
> to the Seven Mothers at all.

Or anyone else, for that matter, not even Humakt or Destor.

RR
- Richelieu