Re: Re: Animism: multiple traditions?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:56:48 -0700

> > If Boltho wants to worship the 7 Moms *and* the Storm pantheon,
> he's going
> > to bring down the (minor) wrath of the gods on his family. He
> is"abusing"
> > his religion. He is close to apostasy (almost even worse than true
> > apostasy...).
>
> Yeah, but he could do it within the rules. Boltho will eventually
> have to make a choice (or his kinfolk will probably off him), but
> could do *both*. At least for awhile. Unlike an initiate or
> devotee. Right?

The rules don't specifically say. However, *I* personally don't think that you can - or, at least, not be a "good" worshipper of either religion. I think to change religions you actually have to convert from one to the other - not go through a transition phase where you show up to both sets of ceremonies. And I'm not just talking the "Overlapping holy days" syndrome. I think there are profound mental changes that need to take place from "I'm a good storm worshipper" to "I'm a good Lunar". It is extremely difficult to slowly transition between those two states - it's like pulling off a band-aid. Are you a slow pull or a fast yank kind of person? I think conversion is a fast yank type of operation.

In rules terms, *I think* when you pay your 3 HP to gain a new "Worship [Pantheon]" (or similar ability for the other types of magic) it replaces your previous one, you don't hold them simultaneously.

YGMV and all that.

RR
- Richelieu