RE: Re: Animism: multiple traditions?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:41:24 -0500

>From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
>
> Think of a Catholic converting to Islam. Are you going to go to both
>ceremonies for a while?

Again, I'm not saying anything about Gloranthan reality, or what the rules say. If the intent is that one can only be in one religion at a time, that's fine.

But, just to point out, I've been in the situation you describe above. Precisely, actually (Sufi is an Islamic sect, though probably not what most people think of when they think of Islam).

>What are people going to think of you for doing so?

They think you're weird, conflicted, confused, having doubts, thoughtful...depends on who it is who's doing the thinking, really. Different people think different things about doing this sort of thing.

>Are the priest and the mullah even going to talk to you?

Yes, they both will. In fact, and this is just one datapoint, of course, one may find that the members of each religion are quite accomodating in terms of helping you through what they see as a crisis of faith. No, neither of them will believe that you should stay with both religions, but they'll even discuss it with you.

>Or are you going
>to get serious talks about commitment from both of them?

Yes, you'll get all sorts of serious discussions from them. And you'll realize that in choosing a life of faith that these individuals are quite philosophical about a lot of things. Moreso than maybe most people would suspect. Further, you'll find that not everyone in a religion believes the same things - some of them will be much more "conservative" in their interpretations of things, and others much less. The different sects will have very different viewpoints on potentially central matters of faith. The Jesuits at one church I attend have amazingly different views on things than the priests at the suburban Catholic churches that I've attended. The Catholic monks I've met (including friars) have different thoughts than these. And the individuals within these sects each have different ideas of how things work.

The one thing that religions are not, in my experience, are monolithic in terms of each individual believing the same things. Even on what would be considered critical topics.

>Remember, both
>religions are exclusive - one or the other, not both.

That's true. But that speaks to the organizations, again, not to the individuals within the organizations.

> >In rules terms, *I think* when you pay your 3 HP to gain a new "Worship
> >[Pantheon]" (or similar ability for the other types of magic) it replaces
> >your previous one, you don't hold them simultaneously.
>
>Yup.

Again, that's a sensible, simple, straightforward, and internally consistent ruling, and I'm not even remotely challenging it - I was merely incorrect before in my reading of the rules. I don't want to give anyone the impression that my disagreement about how things work in the real world has anything to do with what the rules are, or what Gloranthan reality is like.

Mike

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx